By Carrie Snider | West Valley View
One hundred years ago, a visit to the West Valley wasn’t exactly tempting for Goodyear Tire executives. But they needed to come here to oversee growth of an important crop – cotton. Goodyear Tires owned an impressive 16,000 acres of the crop, which was being grown to reinforce car and truck tires being used in the war effort.
That’s why The Organization House was built. In 1918, it began with just a sitting room, kitchen, bedrooms, and terrace to house Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company executives visiting the cotton farm, but it soon became much more. As people stayed there to do business, they found an oasis in the desert. They started to bring their families with them.