The Jerome Town Council took a trip though the past, but looked into the future, of the old Jerome High school Saturday during a Special Meeting of the Jerome Council.
Town Officials opened the unusual Saturday public meeting in the courtyard of the main building of the old high school built in 1923 with representatives of Verde Exploration Ltd., the current owners of the high school complex.
The council’s regular meeting room was replaced with a circular gathering in the shade of a small tree and blooming yellow flowers.
Jerome Council members walked through art studios, the Western Heritage Furniture workshop and the three large buildings that were once the Jerome and Mingus High School gym, classrooms and woodworking shop.
A 30-foot tall painting of a Mingus Marauder football player still peers over the Heritage Furniture workshop framed by the old domed, custom-wood roof. The hoops and backboards are still there.