By Teri Carncelli | North Central News
The owners of a home at 7019 N. Central Ave. will make their case to a Phoenix zoning officer as to why their home should be allowed to be torn down.
Referred to as the William F. McElroy house, the home sits on property that was part of the original Orangewood subdivision platted by William J. Murphy in 1895. The home itself, however, wasn’t constructed until late 1926.
Last month, the Phoenix Historical Preservation Commission voted 6-0 to initiate historic preservation review for the home, which could result in the home being listed on the Phoenix Historic Property Register, providing a new zoning overlay that would protect the home from major changes—including demolition.