By Brian Kramer | Casa Grande Dispatch
Casa Grande area
Thornton Road — Henry D. Thornton, a native of rural Illinois, moved to Casa Grande to farm a quarter section west of Casa Grande in 1920. Thornton had grown up learning that trade but went to a polytechnic school in Peoria, Illinois, to study watchmaking. In 1941, Thornton and his wife opened Thornton’s, a jewelry store, at Florence and First streets. Thornton Road, which runs along the border of the former Thornton farm, is named in honor of the pioneering family. In 1979, the estate sold the property to Energy Development Co., an affiliate of Arizona Public Service Co., which developed it into Thornton Industrial Park.