By Olicia McCann | Downtown Devil
Located on the corner of Third and Buchanan Streets in downtown Phoenix, two historical buildings from the 1900s remain intact.
These two establishments — Gerardo’s Building and Arvizu’s El Fresnal Grocery Store — are all that remains of a lively Hispanic neighborhood that once existed in the area now called the Warehouse District.
Arvizu’s El Fresnal Grocery was built around 1900, according to Donna Reiner, a historian at the Phoenix Historical Society. Grocer Trinidad Arvizu ran the store for about twenty years, and it later served as a masonic temple. Today, it remains the oldest intact neighborhood grocery store in Phoenix, according to the Phoenix Warehouse District website.