Loading...
You are here:  Home  >  Courts/Law  >  Current Article

ACLU drops lawsuit after Gosar implements new social media policy

Posted by   /  May 1, 2019  /  No Comments

    Print       Email
Rep. Gosar will no longer block constituents on his Facebook page.

By Howard Fischer | Capitol Media Services via Arizona Capitol Times

The American Civil Liberties Union has dropped its lawsuit against Congressman Paul Gosar, saying it now has assurances that constituents won’t be blocked from posting comments he does not like on his Facebook page.

Attorney Darrell Hill acknowledged Friday that Gosar had changed his policies about how the page will operate before the ACLU filed suit in April on behalf of J’aime Morgaine of Kingman and Paul Hamilton of Prescott. And, in fact, Gosar already had removed the block he had previously placed on the pair.

But Hill said the policy change, by itself, did not guarantee future open access, something he now says the congressman, through his chief of staff, has now provided.

Still, Hill told Capitol Media Services that his organization intends to monitor how Gosar and his staff run the web page to ensure that the First Amendment rights of constituents are not violated in the future. And if there are problems, he said, there will be a third lawsuit.

READ ON:

    Print       Email

Leave a Reply

You might also like...

Judge rejects Gov. Doug Ducey’s request to delay process for reopening gyms in Arizona

Read More →