Governor Ducey speaks at a news conference November 18./Screengrab Governor’s Office video
By Maria Polletta | Arizona Republic
Gov. Doug Ducey will accept the outcome of the presidential race only after all related lawsuits are resolved, he said during his first post-election appearance Wednesday.
“There are legal claims that are being challenged in court, and everybody on the ballot has certain access, rights and remedies,” he said. “Once those are adjudicated and the process plays out, I will accept the results.”
Ducey would not comment on the merits of the two legal challenges still pending in Arizona — one involving Maricopa County’s audit process and another involving the Election Day experiences of just two voters — despite their unlikeliness to affect election results. A judge already dismissed another suit brought by the president’s team last week because it would have no effect on the outcome.
Nor would the governor explicitly reject conspiracy theories about election fraud that continue to circulate despite being repeatedly debunked, saying only that he had not personally seen “any widespread fraud or irregularity.”
“I’ve heard about it, but I’ve not seen it,” Ducey said.