By Joshua Bowling | Arizona Republic
A new downtown Mesa housing development spearheaded by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints’ development arm is finally up and running after years of work. City leaders say it could be the shot in the arm the region needs.
The Grove on Main, off Main Street just a stone’s throw from the Mesa Arizona Temple, is a new mixed-use housing development with apartments, townhomes, single-family homes and retail. And it features what the developer and city leaders believe to be Mesa’s first underground parking garage.
In all, the development has:
- 243 rental units with a mix of studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom floor plans.
- A visitor’s center for the Mesa Arizona Temple.
- Four units above the visitor’s center to be used for housing missionaries and other church-related visits.
- 32 detached homes, made up of a mix of single-family homes and townhomes.
- A book store and sweets shop.
- A two-story clubhouse with a game room.
- A two-story fitness center.
- A swimming pool and spa.
- Mayor John Giles said the redevelopment will bring some much-needed changes to the eastern fringe of downtown Mesa and a “ripple effect in neighborhoods surrounding the temple.”