The hunt continues in Chandler for a new city manager after the June retirement of Rich Dlugas. He served 20 years with the city, including the past four as city manager. Assistant City Manager Marsha Reed is the temporary city manager.
The city council has narrowed the search down to five candidates.
“We are currently doing a deep background check with one candidate and hope to make an announcement next week,” Dave Bigos, mayoral and council assistant, told Rose Law Group Reporter,
Here are the five candidates:
- Majed Al-Ghafry, assistant city manager for El Cajon, Calif. He has 25 years of experience in city management, public works and engineering.
- Paul Grimes, village manager in Orland Park, Ill. He has 20 years of city management and private sector experience in administrative, business and economic development.
- John Kross, Queen Creek’s town manager. He has more than 25 years of city experience in management, community development, planning and economic development.
- Kevin Phelps, deputy county executive in Pierce County, Wash. He has 30 years of private and public sector experience as a business entrepreneur in economic development, management and as a city councilmember.
- James Thompson, Casa Grande city manager. He has nearly 20 years of experience as a city manager. He also served as deputy city manager, finance director, city clerk and risk manager in city government.